Friday 3 August 2012

Finding the World of SPFX Makeup



I am a 21 year old Aussie girl who, after having completed a Law degree at one of the most reputable Universities for Law in Australia, decided to quit my decently paying graduate program job with the Queensland government to pursue a career as a Special Effects Makeup Artist for the film and television industry. 

My whole life I’ve been fascinated and intrigued by the creative industries – the imagination and creativity that you find in art, film, theatre, costumes, and special effects.  Despite the obvious magnetic pull this world has had on me over the years I managed to somehow avoid entering the creative industries straight out of High School. 

At the end of grade 12, I entered the world wide eyed and did what I thought I had to – go to University and study something the world considered valuable and somewhat difficult.  Although being a lawyer was never really what I wanted to be and having a law degree won’t ever really help me be a better special effects makeup artist – I will never regret my time at Bond University or obtaining a Bachelor of Laws.  I feel as though the experiences I had, the knowledge and skills I obtained and the future prospects I will gain out of having a law degree made the time and effort I spent all worth it.

So there I was, 6 months out of university, working in the Brisbane CBD in a building with 37 floors, 24 elevators and security card access – and I just knew there had to be something else out there for me – something more.  It may have taken me 12 years of schooling, a law degree and 6 months in a graduate program to figure it out, but finally one day I stumbled across a career I’d never considered before – a career as a Special Effects Makeup Artist.

After ample research into the industry, the job itself and the various academies that offered Diplomas in SPFX Makeup, I found the place for me – the Australian Academy of Cinemagraphic Makeup.  With that, I put in my letter of resignation, completed my final two weeks’ notice at work, had one week off and began the journey that will hopefully lead me to the rest of my life…

2 comments:

  1. Wow Caity,

    Such a brief snapshot of where you have ended up. Exciting stuff! Im sure your journey has more details, twists and happy endings! I'm looking foward to reading more!

    With love
    ~Jo no E~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Jo no E, haven't heard that in a while!? :)

      I've certainly taken an odd path that's for sure, but all for the better!!! :D thanks for your faith and interest.

      <3 Caity xo

      Delete