Friday 1 March 2013

TUTORIAL - Evil Clown SPFX Makeup

So I'm sure we've all been scared of clowns at one time or another - usually the type that have evil eyes and bloody smiles.  I'm not sure where this deep seeded fear came from but I can imagine movies and books like IT by Stephen King and the wide variety of paintings, digital art, drawings, and makeups that have brought the most terrifying versions of clowns to life hasn't helped. 



For me however, it has always been more of a fascination than a fear.  I have always been intrigued by how every clown is wearing a disguise, pretending, and can be whoever they want to be.  I have also always loved how something that is supposed to represent fun, laughter, enjoyment and entertainment for children can carry such terrifying connotations.  With that in mind, I wanted to create a clown makeup that portrayed the exact thing I've always loved about clowns - EVIL - and what better way to do that than to slash out the cheeks and give my clown a great big bloody smile!


So here's how I created this look....

Step 1 - Silicone Slash

The first thing you should always do when creating a makeup that involves prosthetics is to put  the prosthetics on first! Why? Because silicone and latex prefer to stick to skin than  other makeup products such as foundation or Supra.  It also makes the whole process faster and more efficient as Silicone can take up to 20 minutes to dry so it can be drying whilst you finish the rest of your makeup.

Like any silicone prosthetic that you sculpt straight onto the skin you need to mark out where you want it then apply the desired amount.  Then, using a sculpting tool, smooth out the edges to the skin so that there are no visible ridges.  You then need to gouge out the inside of the wound to create your desired effect and pattern - remembering that wounds of this nature will usually be jaggered and imperfect.

Now leave the silicone alone till it is completely dry!

Step 2 - Pale Base

Almost all characters of this style and genre start with a pale base (you can also do this step after eyes if you like, depends on personal preference).  To achieve this I used a mixture of a very pale foundation and white Supra, buffed into the skin with a setting powder over the top.  I made sure to blend this down the neck also.

Step 3 - Eyes

For the eye makeup I went with greys, ice blues, dark navy and black eyeshadows - most of which were shimmer.  I started with an eye primer, then a base ice blue, contouring the socket line with the darker colours.  I highlighted the inside of the eye and under the arch of the brow with the ice blues and darkened under the eye with the navy and black.  

I then blackened my water line and under the eye with a Mac smudge liner and penciled in my eyebrows with a waterproof black liner.  Once I had everything looking very perfect and pretty I smudged and blended the eyeshadows and ran Mac gel liner under my eye line, up through the brow and down my cheeks to give the eyes a creepier look.  I didn't want this makeup to look too pretty, but pretty enough and I also wanted it to resemble the stereotypical clown eyes famous in pop culture.  I then added a set of luscious lashes for the glam look and completed the eyes by adding Mac gel liner to my upper eye lid.

Step 4 - Adding Colour to the Silicone Slash

Before I applied any colour to the silicone I first powdered it down with translucent powder to remove any un-natural looking shine.  I could then move onto the fun stuff.  I used red and lake RMGP for trauma around the edges and for inside the wound.  I then moved onto using fresh scratch to add a bit more depth and chunkiness to the wound.  It is important when painting prosthetic wounds that you leave some areas bare, as showing natural skin makes a wound more believable to you're audience. 


Step 5 - Lips

I wanted deep red lips that resembled blood so I lined them with a Lake pencil, over accentuating my lip shape.  I then used Mac 'Diva' lipstick,  to fill in the lip colour, and outlined the lips with black gel liner which I then blended inwards into the red.  Finally I finished the lips with a clear gloss to pump up the 'bloody' look.

Step 6 - BLOOOOOOD!!!!
My favourite part, as always, is adding the blood :D I had to restrain myself from adding too much, as I didn't want to ruin my sculpting and painting efforts by drowning it in blood.  I strategically placed blood in the wound where the cuts would be deepest and dripped blood down from the wound at balanced points along my cheeks and chin.

The final touch was the blood spatter surrounding the wound - very subtle but I think effective.  I created this using the brush I've grown accustomed to calling my 'spatter' brush.

Step 7 - Contact Lenses

For the finishing touch I applied "Manson" contact lenses which really finished off the look by adding that extra creep factor.  However - I don't recommend applying or removing contact lenses unless you know how and have the right equipment to sterilise and clean the lenses.

All in all, this makeup wasn't overly difficult but turned out quite well and definitely as creepy as I 'd hoped.  I can only wish that my makeup and others like it make their way into peoples nightmares all around the world. :D



Yours in Blood & Gore,

Caity

4 comments:

  1. This is just so creepy! I love it and i really love to have something like this on this coming halloween. Nice scary clown makeup! I'd love to include this in my list of halloween makeup ideas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good feedback, hope the tutorial helps you if you decide to recreate this look for Halloween :D

      Delete
  2. What costume would you put with this makeup effect? I'm a 30 year old male going for the evil clown devilish look. I'm also throwing in horns and black Scalra lenses.. your input is appreciated! - Justin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justin - for a male costume I'd go for something along the lines of the Joker or maybe even a very traditional black and white satin clown costume from the 20's and bloody it up, even tear and burn it a bit. That would probably suit the devil look better too...

      Delete